A.No.5 is an 0-6-0 side tank built in 1883 by Kitson and Company. It was the last working example of the 1841 patented Stephenson 'long boiler' design, to produce higher steam pressure while retaining a small wheelbase. Unsuited for high speeds, they nonetheless satisfied a need for powerful shunters at certain industrial railways like the Consett Iron and Steel Company. Withdrawn in 1972 it passed to Beamish Museum and then the Tyne & Wear Museums Service at Monkwearmouth Station, Sunderland, where the Monkwearmouth Station Museum Association began its overhaul from a very derelict condition. It returned to steam in 1986. It was overhauled in 1995/6 and again in 2013/14. In mid-2018 A.No.5 suffered firebox problems and was retired from service. Throughout 2019 it has spent most of its time in the museum on display.
|A.No.5 - 0-6-0T - Kitson & Co - 1883 - Static Exhibit|
This 0-6-0 saddle tank was built in 1939 as works number 1970 by Peckett & Sons of Bristol for Ashington Coal Company which operated one of Britain's most extensive colliery railway systems. In 1939, two identical locomotives were delivered to one of Peckett's standard designs and they received the names Ashington No.5 & Ashington No.6. The former spent her entire industrial career on the railway for which she was built. In 1969 she was sold by the National Coal Board to North Norfolk Preserved Railway because the Ashington system was dieselised. However, she returned to Northumberland in 1991 and was repainted into the "as delivered to Ashington Colliery" livery. The loco was additionally named Jackie Milburn in honour of the local football hero. ACC5 is currently (Aug 2020) in the workshop undergoing a mechanical overhaul.
|Ashington No.5 - 0-6-0ST - Peckett & Sons - 1939 - Under Overhaul|
No.401 was one of a class of three built for the Steel Company of Wales in 1951 to an advanced specification designed to provide a low maintenance competitor to the diesel shunters emerging. As such it had many advanced features not seen on other industrial steam locomotives. It was sold to Austin Motor Co. Ltd., of Longbridge, Birmingham in 1957 before passing in 1973 to the developing West Somerset Railway. Once it became surplus to larger locomotives there, the Stephenson Railway Museum purchased 2994 and repainted it from "Kermit the frog" green to a black livery similar to a NER style. It was repainted into original 'Steel Company of Wales Ltd' livery in 2020.
|No.401 - 0-6-0ST - Bagnall - 1950 - Operational|
|No.69 - 0-6-0ST Austerity - Hunslet Engine Company - 1953 - Under Overhaul|
An 0-6-0 Side Tank built in 1951 as works number 7683. It is thought she was delivered new to Meaford Power Station to shunt coal waggons. It was one of several of its type supplied to power stations by Robert Stephenson and Hawthorns Ltd., Forth Banks, Newcastle upon Tyne during the 1950s. They were used to transport coal wagons from mainline sidings into the power station, supplying the boiler-house coal bunkers. Their small diameter wheels enabled heavy loads to be hauled at slow speeds. Larger wheeled versions were supplied when long journeys were needed - for example, some colliery systems. Locally they could be seen working at places in Northumberland and Durham including Ashington, Backworth, Stanley and Consett. This loco was purchased from the Power Station by the East Lancashire Railway and hauled their first trains at Bury. After a period in store, she was overhauled at Bury and moved to Tyneside in 1996. In a blue livery, it was in regular service until 2003 when it was withdrawn for firebox issues, the loco is currently a static exhibit in the Stephenson Railway Museum and is next in the overhaul queue.
|No.1 - 0-6-0T - Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns - 1951 - Static Exhibit|
Billy was built by George Stephenson in 1826, one of the various pioneering early designs now known as the Killingworth locomotives, as they were built for use in Killingworth colliery. It is often referred to as the Killingworth Billy to differentiate it from the Puffing Billy built by William Hedley in 1913 for Wylam Colliery. Killingworth Billy ran until 1881 when it was presented to the City of Newcastle upon Tyne. It is a stationary exhibit mounted on a short stretch of period track which features the block mounted rails, to remain compatible with horse drawn trains (horses would be tripped up by conventional sleepers).
|'Billy' - 0-4-0 - George Stephenson - 1826 - Static Exhibit|
Originally No.D4145 of Allerton Depot. No.08915 was acquired in 2009 and restored to BR Blue in 2017.
|No.08915 - 0-6-0DE - 1962 - Operational|
No.03078 was based at Gateshead depot during the loco's career and could often be seen at Newcastle Central on pilot duties. It was one of the first locomotives to be acquired at the NTSR. It was repainted plain black with red lining, similar to 401s livery, it was then restored to BR Blue in early 2019.
|No.03078 - 0-6-0DM - 1959 - Operational|
Consett Iron & Steelworks No.10 was one of the last in-house productions of locomotives of industrial railways in the North East. It was built to satisfy a need for a 300HP engine with mechanical transmission and was based on a Hunslett design. After repair work was carried out in 2015 the loco did see operation throughout 2016. No.10 is currently (Oct 2019) in the workshop awaiting further repairs.
|No.10 - 0-6-0 - 1958 - Awaiting Repair|
Harton Electric E4
E4 was built for the Harton coal system in South Shields. After being left in a derelict state from sitting outside for many years it was eventually restored thanks to successful lottery funding and ran off batteries which are carried in a converted coal wagon. It is currently not operational and is a static exhibit in the museum. Photo below is courtesy of Allan McKever.
Post a Comment